Friday, February 6, 2009
random thoughts...
Just read two articles: one on Michael Phelps & his bong-hitting photo, and the other regarding President Obama & his stimulus plan. Really this post is just a way for me to express - well, not necessarily joy - over one, and annoyance on the other. ;)
If you haven't heard, Michael Phelps (the wicked good swimmer who won basically every medal at the Summer Olympics) was caught on film taking a hit from a marijuana pipe - those pics hit the web a week or so ago. I have no idea if this was the first time...honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't. Let's face it, celebrities/athletes have all kinds of junk thrown at them, and Phelps is obviously not the first athlete to be caught in this kind of situation. What does surprise me is that he has been suspended for three months by the USA Swimming officials. Phelps, I'm sure, is considered a role model by many kids, and seems more deserving of that title than many other athletes I could name. So, I am glad to see the USA Swimming people taking action and saying "hey, you full well knew better but did something wrong anyway, so here's your punishment." I wish more organizations would own up and hold their athletes accountable! Phelps has issued an apology and says it won't happen again (he WAS busted for DUI a few years ago when he was 19) so I hope he means it!
On to the new President (who by the way is black. Did you know that?!! I had NO IDEA. Thanks news media!) Anyway, President Obama spoke yesterday at a Democratic retreat (which was held at some resort and spa) regarding his stimulus plan. The Yahoo news article included this gem: "'When you start hearing arguments, on the cable chatter, just understand a couple of things,' he said. 'No. 1, when they say, ‘Well, why are we spending $800 billion [when] we’ve got this huge deficit?' – first of all, I found this deficit when I showed up, No. 1. 'I found this national debt, doubled, wrapped in a big bow waiting for me as I stepped into the Oval Office.'"
What?! He is President, and DID NOT KNOW that we have a deficit before his first day of work?!! Heck, *I* know that, and I'm not even in politics! I think it's totally silly that he seems to be claiming ignorance of this issue. He may as well have said "hey, don't blame me, I've just spent the last two years or so campaigning to be President of this country. I had no idea the US didn't have any money. I thought it grew on trees out in the Rose Garden! I'm shocked!!" Now, I'm throwing this out there, but here's a thought Mr President: maybe the US has no money because the Democrats are holding their retreats AT A SPA! Are we as taxpayers paying for this? Seriously?! Regarding the stimulus package itself, I'm curious to see how well throwing even more money at stuff is going to solve our economic woes. President Bush tried giving the citizens money, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that little stimulus plan didn't work out as well as they hoped.
I think the US needs some Dave Ramsey. He can make a budget, get rid of all the miscellaneous spending (coughspascough), and put us back on track. Dave for President in 2012!
Alright, you'll have to look these articles up on Yahoo yourselves. ;) Blogger is being a pain and I can't the links to work properly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment